Monday, October 26, 2015

Marie Lu's "The Rose Society"



"Once upon a time, a girl had a father, a prince, a society of friends. Then they betrayed her, and she destroyed them all"


I just love reading books from Marie Lu. I am always swept up in the world she creates on paper. Taken to a place that I can see clearly in my head. Her writing is so vivid and imaginative. The Rose Society is the second book in The Young Elites novels. It is everything I could want in a second book of a trilogy. It takes what was in book one and elevated it far and above what I ever imagined and left me yearning for the third book to be finished immediately.

Adelina is an Elite. The blood fever left her with the power of illusion- she can make others think horrible things are happening to them. In book one she is fighting the Inquisition with her group of friends who each have powers of their own. But then they betrayed her, leaving her bitter and full of revenge. This book takes you to a dark, dark place. 

We see Adelina go from a heroine to a villain. She is an extremely damaged girl, and although she has good intentions, her hardened heart is leading her to a dark side. A side full of rage, revenge, and murder. 

This book is deep and dark, more action-packed, and much more deadly. New alliances are formed and new enemies are made. Everyone is fighting for the throne. Everyone has their own reasons why they want the crown. Can Adelina trust anyone around her, even her so called allies, to help in her mission?

Throughout this book Adelina battles her inner demons, dark voices, as she calls them. She isn't a completely cruel and cold girl. There is humanity in her. At just about the time when I start to like her and empathize with her, she goes off the deep end, turning into a cold-hearted, evil, malicious and deceitful girl. She turns into a villain I fear, yet desperately want to root for.

 There is never a dull moment in this book. Marie Lu went above and beyond my expectations. She took it to a whole new level. I loved Lu's Legend Series, but I like this series sooooo much more. I would deem the Legend Series as Sci-fi and The Young Elites is more of a fantasy series. If you liked the first Young Elites book you will definitely LOVE this second one. If you haven't read any of Marie Lu's novels then it is time to start! You won't be disappointed.

 I will leave you with random quotes of the book I highlighted while reading:

Right now, what I want is the throne. Enzo’s power. A perfect revenge. And all the Inquisitors, queens, and Daggers in the world won’t be able to stop me. ~Adelina

It is better to have an enemy who will fight you in an open field than a lover who will kill you in your sleep. ~Kenettra and Beldain Ancient Rivalry, various authors

I will keep you until the day I choose not too. You have destroyed and harmed all that is dear to me. In return, I want you to know what that feels like. I will not kill you. I will keep you alive. I will torture you. Until your soul is dead ~Adelina


Happy Reading! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate