Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Paula Treick DeBoard's "The Drowning Girls"



As stated in my previous post, I was in a bit of a reading slump. The good news is that I am back to my book reading and am in full swing now! Although it took me 15 days to get through this book, I could have easily read it in a 1-2 day span- it was good!

Here is the synopsis as laid out by Goodreads :

Liz McGinnis never imagined herself living in a luxurious gated community like The Palms. Ever since she and her family moved in, she's felt like an outsider amongst the Stepford-like wives and their obnoxiously spoiled children. Still, she's determined to make it work—if not for herself, then for her husband, Phil, who landed them this lavish home in the first place, and for her daughter, Danielle, who's about to enter high school. 
Yet underneath the glossy veneer of The Palms, life is far from idyllic. In a place where reputation is everything, Liz soon discovers that even the friendliest residents can't be trusted. So when the gorgeous girl next door befriends Danielle, Liz can't help but find sophisticated Kelsey's interest in her shy and slightly nerdy daughter a bit suspicious. 
But while Kelsey quickly becomes a fixture in the McGinnis home, Liz's relationships with both Danielle and Phil grow strained. Now even her own family seems to be hiding things, and it's not long before their dream of living the high life quickly spirals out of control…

This thriller alternates between past and present, and also switches back and forth from the point of view of both Liz and her husband Phil. The alternations make this story even more compelling, adding a depth that would be lost had the author stuck with a single point of view.

The story starts out in the present, with a horrible "accident". We know something bad has happened, though we don't know how or why. As I have said before, this kind of lead-in is my favorite way to start a thriller. Knowing a bad situation occurred but not knowing the specifics completely sucks me in immediately.  I love it!

The characters in this book are very well developed and completely relatable. There were times throughout the story when I loved and then hated every single one, which shows just how in depth the character building is laid out. The writing style is simple and very easy to follow, yet compelling none the less. Plot development was outstanding, the author giving just enough to keep you hooked, yet not so much that you know where the story is leading. 

I don't want to post any spoilers. This book is best read not knowing any more information than what the reader reads in the summary. The Drowning Girls is suspenseful and chilling,  full of twists and turns. It was a great, 4 star, modern-thriller read for me!

It is due to be released April 26, 2016. Add it to your TBR list and preorder it now! 

This was my first book by author Paula Treick DeBoard but will not be my last! Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin (US & Canada) for allowing me the digital ARC to read and give my honest review. 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate