Monday, June 27, 2016

Jack Jordan's "My Girl"



Paige Dawson: the mother of a murdered child and wife to a dead man. 

She has nothing left to live for… until she finds her husband’s handgun hidden in their house. 

Why did Ryan need a gun? What did he know about their daughter’s death? 

Desperate for the truth, Paige begins to unearth her husband’s secrets. 

But she has no idea who she is up against, or that her life isn’t hers to gamble – she belongs to me.  ~taken from Amazon

This story starts out with Paige Dawson waking up on her couch from a prescription pill concoction mixed with cheap wine blackout. Her life is in shambles. Her one and only daughter was murdered years earlier and her husband committed suicide a couple months ago. 

Author Jack Jordan does a phenomenal job presenting the main character. She is a middle aged woman with nothing to live for. An alcoholic, drug addicted, depressed mess who is on the verge of completely loosing it. 

When I started the novel I hated Paige. She had absolutely no good qualities about her. Then, as the story progressed and mysterious things started happening to Paige I slowly began to understand her desperation mixed with sadness. I understood her need to block out the world and the few people who love her. I rooted her on as she tried her hardest to understand what happened to the two people she loved most in the world. 

This is a fairly short novel. I felt the first half of this book was flawless. Character and plot development flowed and kept me intrigued. Then the character development seemed to go downhill. NO SPOILERS- it was a good read, just seemed rushed once a major plot twist occurred. I felt like the author was just rushing to get to the end. I wanted a smooth, intense, slow ride to the finale. I was also looking for a better understanding of the antagonist's motives and actions. 

This book is told from a couple different character perspectives, which I enjoyed. I think it really helped to tell the overall story. It was a dark, fast, intriguing psychological thriller that I did enjoy reading. A 4-star read for me!

Thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to read and give my honest review. My Girl is due to be released on July 4, 2016 and would be perfect for a summer read! If you are a Kindle Unlimited subscriber you can read this for free.  

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate