Wednesday, December 6, 2023

"We Used To Live Here" by Daniel Hurst

 


Every house has secrets. But not all of them stay buried forever...

When the Burgess family move into their 'forever' home, it seems like they are set for many happy years together at their new address. Steph and Grant, along with their children, Charlie and Amelia, settle into their new surroundings quickly. But then they receive an unexpected visit from a couple who claim to have lived in the house before.

They wish to come in and have a look around for old time's sake. Seeming pleasant and plausible, Steph invites them in. And that's when things begin to change.It's not long after the peculiar visit when the homeowners begin to find evidence of the past all around their new home as they redecorate. But it's the discovery of a hidden wall containing several troubling messages that really sends Steph into a spin.

After digging into the history of the house a little more, she learns it is connected to a shocking crime from the past. A crime that still remains unsolved... ~taken from Goodreads

The premise of this sounded fantastic! Original and semi-creepy. I think everyone has wondered what occurred in the house they lived in, prior to when they lived in it. 

It started out fast paced and I really was very interested in what was happening. But I soon lost interest. The character development is non-existent. I had a hard time following along because I had no idea who to envision in my mind. 

The same went for the scenery and settings. There was just very vague descriptions of what was happening with the scenery surrounding very important discoveries. 

Then there was the issue of plausibility. Situations that happen throughout the story just didn't make common sense. There were times I actually laughed out loud and times when I got so frustrated I had to stop reading. 

Then there was the ending. So bland and unsatisfying. I was actually mad I wasted time reading this book. 

Listen, I hate to trash any book, but this was a 1 star read for me. You would have to REALLY convince me to read another book from this author. 

Apparently I am a minority on this conclusion because 46% of Amazon reviews gave it 5 stars. That being said, you can get your copy on Amazon.

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate