Thursday, January 11, 2024

Carla Kovach's "On A Quiet Street

 




Every family has its secrets. Some are more deadly than others…I live on a quiet tree-lined street with my perfect husband Cain. But when 18-year-old Charlotte knocks on the front door, what she says has me questioning just how well I really know my husband. ‘I was adopted as a baby and I’m looking for my biological parents. I was told they live here.' 
My heart races as I fear Cain has been keeping a huge secret from me. Does he have a child he never told me about? And has he been lying all these years? I can’t trust anything Cain says. Desperate for answers, I agree to meet Charlotte in secret. But it’s Charlotte who is full of about our lives, our relationship. It’s only when she lets slip the name of the road I used to live on, that I realise how much she knows about me, too…Cold fear floods through my body. My husband may not have told the truth, but his lies are nothing compared to mine. If Charlotte knows my darkest secret, my whole life could fall apart. ~taken from Goodreads

"On A Quiet Street" is a standalone novel by Carla Kovach, the author most known for her Detective Gina Harte series. I love the Harte series and have read and reviewed several of them over the years here on the blog. 

Kovach's writing style is always seamless. It's descriptive enough that the story just flows, but not so detailed it becomes boring. The characters are always so well developed. The plot of all her books are well thought out, with twists and turns in all the right spots. 

This novel was no different plus the storyline was so unique. I have to admit there wasn't a single character I liked in this book though. The plot is broken into parts and it also alternates between characters. I do like that I got to see the full story from different perspectives- certain blanks getting filled in as I read the same scene happen from another character's view. 

Despite the unlikable characters I really did like this book and do recommend it. The plot and ending is unpredictable, which is the most fun of any mystery. At no point in the story did I know what was going to happen next. 

"On A Quiet Street" is set to be released on January 15, 2024 here in the U.S. so pre-order it now! It was a solid 4 star read! Thanks to Bookouture and Netgalley for the advanced e-copy to read and give my honest review. 

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate