Saturday, April 6, 2019

"The Rule of One" by Ashley and Leslie Saunders


In their world, telling the truth has become the most dangerous crime of all.
In the near-future United States, a one-child policy is ruthlessly enforced. Everyone follows the Rule of One. But Ava Goodwin, daughter of the head of the Texas Family Planning Division, has a secret—one her mother died to keep and her father has helped to hide for her entire life.
She has an identical twin sister, Mira.
For eighteen years Ava and Mira have lived as one, trading places day after day, maintaining an interchangeable existence down to the most telling detail. But when their charade is exposed, their worst nightmare begins. Now they must leave behind the father they love and fight for their lives.
Branded as traitors, hunted as fugitives, and pushed to discover just how far they’ll go in order to stay alive, Ava and Mira rush headlong into a terrifying unknown. ~taken from Amazon



It was October 2018. I had finished all my ARCs and was browsing Amazon to find my next read. It had been awhile since I read any type of YA-futuristic-dystopian novel and my mind seemed to be craving that type of genre. Somehow I stumbled onto this book and I am so glad I did!

First of all, the premise of future America having a one child rule sucked me right in. It was a story line I hadn't come across in other YA books I had read. It is unique and scary. Something I had never thought would be in America's future. 

The book begins by learning how these twin sisters review their day together. The fact that they trade places with each other daily was fascinating to me. From practicing their mannerisms, to having to recite every single detail about the day so that the other sister is not left out of any important interactions with others, left me in awe. 

The excitement picks up fairly quickly and we find the twins on the run trying to get to the safety of crossing Canadian border. Ironically, Canada has erected a giant wall that spans the entire border. The use of facial recognition makes the journey dangerous and really got my heart pounding. Drones are also used to let authorities see every move from above.  Along the way the twins meet new people that help them reach their destination. It was so interesting to see American civilians and the lives they live in this futuristic setting. 

The authors did a wonderful job with the fluidity of the story, as each chapter is from an alternating sister's perspective and I assume each author wrote the chapters for each twin. 

The characters met along the way and the different landscapes visited during their travels were very well written. I had no problem imagining each scene as I read further and further into the story. This was a book I wanted to hurry up and get the the end, yet didn't want it to end. 


I was blown away by the ending, which is truly the beginning of a whole new book. This is the first in a series and I am SO EXCITED for the next book! This was a solid 5 star read for me! 

The Rule of One is available so I suggest you start reading it NOW because the next in the series, The Rule of Many is due to be released in the U.S. in May 2019. Pre-order it now! 

Happy Reading! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate