Monday, October 19, 2020

"Little Bones" by N.V. Peacock



I have three names: I was born Leigh-Ann. I became Cherrie. When I was a child, they called me Little Bones…

My father was Mr Bones – the notorious serial killer of 25 years ago.
As a child I witnessed his crimes.
Everything is different now. I have a new identity. I’m a mother. I am finally free.
Until that podcast. I should never have listened.
They’re linking a recent disappearance to the crimes of the past.
They know who I am. They’re calling me Little Bones again.
They say I’m a villain but I’m not. I’m a victim. ~taken from Goodreads

I was very intrigued by the premise of this thriller. A serial killer's daughter all grown up, a family of her own, and a new killer on the loose. The plot was very clever in how it unraveled. I am trying not to post spoilers, because I started this read knowing only what was written in the description and I feel everyone should read knowing no more than that. No tiny little spoilers and plot twists will come from me! 

Told in first person perspective, Cherrie, who used to be name Leigh-Ann and later taunted by the name Little Bones, is now an adult. Her and her long-time boyfriend have a son together. Life seems dull, but perfect, just as Cherrie prefers. She is the daughter of a serial killer and is hiding from her past. Not even her boyfriend and close friends know who she once was. 

Then everything changes. A boy in her town goes missing and a podcaster dredges up the story of Cherrie's dad. The horrifying story of Mr. Bones is retold and Cherrie's new identity is revealed to the world.  The podcaster even suggests that Cherrie could be involved in the missing boy's disappearance. As the podcast grows in popularity Cherrie hears whispers among the town folk. Whispers that perhaps she inherited the serial killer gene. Whispers that she is responsible for the missing boy. Whispers that she too is a monster like her father. Slowly Cherrie feels her world crashing down around her. How will she tell those closest to her who she really is? How will she tell them that her dad used her as a prop to help abduct and kill young boys...

This kept me intruded pretty much throughout the entire story. There were times that the author got deep into the mind and thoughts of Cherrie and I got bored with the self loathing and sporadic way the main character behaved and the crazy thought process she followed. I seemed stuck between feeling bad for her being bullied and loathing her for her shady conduct. 

The ending seemed rushed and was predictable, but overall it was a really good read. I got though it fast because I was intrigued and wanted to know exactly how it ended!

Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Books UK for allowing me the eARC to read and give my honest review. 

N.V. Peackock's "Little Bones" is due to be released October 31, 2020 here in the U.S. so preorder now! It was a 4 star read for me! 

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate