Monday, June 13, 2022

"Can't Look Away" by Carola Lovering

 



In 2013, twenty-three-year old Molly Diamond is a barista, dreaming of becoming a writer. One night at a concert in East Williamsburg, she locks eyes with the lead singer, Jake Danner, and can’t look away. Molly and Jake fall quickly and deeply in love, especially after he writes a hit song about her that puts his band on the map.

Nearly a decade later, Molly has given up writing and is living in Flynn Cove, Connecticut with her young daughter and her husband Hunter—who is decidedly not Jake Danner. Their life looks picture-perfect, but Molly is lonely; she feels out of place with the other women in their wealthy suburb, and is struggling to conceive their second child. When Sabrina, a newcomer in town, walks into the yoga studio where Molly teaches and confesses her own fertility struggles, Molly believes she's finally found a friend.

But Sabrina has her own reasons for moving to Flynn Cove and befriending Molly. And as Sabrina’s secrets are slowly unspooled, her connection to Molly becomes clearer––as do secrets of Molly's own, which she’s worked hard to keep buried.

Meanwhile, a new version of Jake's hit song is on the radio, forcing Molly to confront her past and ask the ultimate questions: What happens when life turns out nothing like we thought it would, when we were young and dreaming big? Does growing up mean choosing with your head, rather than your heart? And do we ever truly get over 
our first love? ~taken from Goodreads

This isn't my first Lovering novel. I loved reading her book, "Too Good To Be True", that was published last year. It was full of twists and turns and was so well written. I was very excited for this read!

I will let you know from the start that this is a thriller with a twist of romance. I wasn't expecting to have my heart strings pulled, and I think that it's only fair to warn the reader that there might be tears of sadness/happiness shed. 

The story is told through different perspectives and different timelines. We get bits and pieces of past and present and the overall picture starts to become much clearer with every turn of the page. Just when I thought I had figured it out an even bigger twist is thrown in!

This was such a fun read and I enjoyed every chapter. It is a perfect summer read for the beach, the pool, or on the couch while enjoying your a/c! 

Thanks to Netgalley, and St. Martin's Press for allowing me an advanced digital copy to read and give my honest review. It was a 4 star read for me! I look forward to Carola Lovering's next book!

"Can't Look Away" is set to be released on June 14, 2022 here in the U.S. so pre-order now! 

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate