Thursday, March 5, 2015

Adrian Heflin's "Lady of the Manor"




"Lady of the Manor" by Adrian Heflin. I just have to talk about this book. I received a free copy from NetGalley to read, honestly review, and recommend. Those not familiar with NetGalley, it is a website for readers where booksellers, publishers, librarians, educators, reviewers, and bloggers can request books to read and review, often times before the books are published. While browsing through books I came across this one and it sounded really good! I love stories about the south. Especially ones with deep, dark family secrets. This is that kind of book. I was approved to read it and  started yesterday. From the moment I downloaded and started reading I was hooked. Laundry, dishes, feeding children, vacuuming the house, etc was on the back burner (FYI- I am not a horrible mother and did clean house and feed my children yesterday). This book sucked me in from the very first chapter. It has characters you hate, characters you like, and plot twists that will leave you with your jaw open. When I say "dark family secrets" I mean it. Heflin (the author) doesn't mess around! After less than a day I am about 36% through it. And I can't wait to read more today! I highly suggest picking up a copy! Amazon has the paperback and Kindle edition for less than $10 here. I know I'm not finished with the book. I'm not even halfway through it yet. I do have a really good feeling that I will love this book all the way until the end though! 
Happy Reading!

*** 24 hours later and I'm done. Not done with the blog silly. Done reading "Lady of the Manor" by Adrian Heflin. I am so glad I submitted at request for this book on NetGalley. I am even happier that I got approved and was able to read this book! This was such a good read. I love a good mystery/thriller. I love books that take place in the south. I also like when the author takes me to an uncomfortable mental place but the plot is so good that I cant help but keep reading and turning the pages. Adrian Heflin's "Lady of the Manor" has it all. This book is not for those who prefer happy romance novels with good times had for all. This book is raw, gritty, creepy, mysterious, thrilling, and at times uncomfortable to read. What a cast of characters- I liked and hated some of them, often liking a character on one page and by the next page utterly hating them. Twists and turns, secrets and lies, past and present family secrets. Murder, rape, sex, racism and family togetherness (yes, I just used all those words in the same sentence).  All in one amazing book. My kind of story! I don't want to give too much away, but do me a favor and add it to your Goodreads "to-read" list (also add me as a Goodreads friend if you'd like). Then head over here to Amazon and pick up a paperback or Ebook for less than $10. You'll thank me later. After your read the book I would love for you to comment on this post or email me (contact info over to the right side of the page) on your thoughts and feelings. Over an hour has passed since I finished this book. And it's still swirling around in my head. I really hope there is a prequel to this book. I would love to know more about Rosemary... I'll let you readers get to it.

 Happy Reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate