Saturday, March 28, 2015

"Her: A Novel" by Harriet Lane



Sometimes it happens. Rarely, but it does. I didn't finish this book. "Her: A Novel" by Harriet Lane was so... utterly boring. I gave up just after I was about half way done (57% according to my Kindle). That's when I realized that nothing had actually happened. It is so slow paced and full of mundane everyday life that I forgot this was labeled as a "psychological thriller". 

I don't really have much to say about this book. It is about two women- one who is a stay at home mother of two. She goes through the routine of taking care of kids, cleaning house, and making meals. I could definitely relate to her and at times found her inner monologue very comical. The other is also a mother, but with an almost grown teenager. She is also an artist (painter) who's husband is never home. She is a sneaky, hateful, bitch. She somehow knows "stay at home mom" from her past, but "stay at home mom" doesn't seem to recognize her or have a clue they have met before.

That's about all I can tell you. Halfway through the book I still have no idea how these two women's pasts are connected. From reading other reviews I can see that not many readers were pleased with the ending. 

To be honest, it was just such slow paced I kind of lost interest. Combine that with the fact that I have a few books that I pre-ordered back in October or November that have finally been released. I just have no interest in finishing this book. Maybe one day I will get the notion to complete it. I suppose it will be right after I finish Gone Girl, which is another book I never finished. 

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate