Thursday, May 28, 2015

Trish Doller's "The Devil You Know"



A fast read because it was soooooo good! Cadie (the main character- short for Arcadia) is a little sassy thing! I like her! Two pages into this book I knew I would love it! I think I have and attraction to YA books because at age 17/18 I had no idea what I wanted out of life. A lot of the YA  books I read deal with characters who are searching. Searching for themselves, searching for meaning, searching for life. 

This book is about Cadie who just turned 18. She has graduated, works at her dad's grocery store, is not over her ex-boyfriend, and has no idea what direction her life is going. She lives with her dad and her 4 year old brother and is the caretaker for both the house and her brother after her mother died. She is lost, she is sad, she is angry, and she wants change.

This book was a quick, fun read. The characters were likable and relatable. Funny, quick-witted, and a bit naughty (dirty) mouthed at times. I could totally picture the small Florida town she lived in and the landscape surrounding her adventures. 

This book is listed as a YA Thriller. I will admit it was a bit of a thriller at times, though I kind of knew where the book was heading and guessed the ending. It does take me back to a time when I was young, carefree, and down for spur-of-the-moment adventure!

It was a book that I could live vicariously through. What 18 year old girl wouldn't want to go off on an adventure/road trip with two hunky looking guys she just met!? Yes, it sounds like a stupid idea (living vicariously though!) and the adventure starts to go very wrong, but the author takes you through a fun, thrilling, and at times terrifying road trip. 

This is my first book written by Trish Doller, but I look forward to reading her others now! 

The Devil You Know will be available to buy on June 2, 2015. I hope you all read and love it! It was a refreshing read that is perfect for summer!

I was able to read a digital ARC thanks to Netgalley. The review and opinions of this book are completely my own. 

Happy Reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate