Monday, July 27, 2015

"This Is Where It Ends" by Marieke Nijkamp



I wan't so sure about this book prior to reading. Yes, I wanted to read it. But I was so scared of all the emotions that I knew would be invoked while reading. Fear, sadness, anger, confusion, anxiety... I wasn't sure if I was ready to read this. I decided to read it anyway and I am so glad I did. Thanks to Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire for allowing me to read the e-ARC of the amazing book This Is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp. 

I think the less a reader knows about this book, the better off they will be. I only knew the basics- this is a book told through 4 different character views over the span of 54 minutes. That is 54 minutes of terror. Here is the description (taken from Netgalley):

10:00 a.m.
The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m.
The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03
The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05
Someone starts shooting.

This explosive, emotional, page-turning debut about a high school held hostage is told from the perspective of four teens—each with their own reason to fear the boy with the gun.

The characters that Nijkamp created in this book are so believable. I could relate and connect with every single one of them. Although this book is a YA Thriller, the words written are beautiful. Such wonderful storytelling from this debut author. 

I highlighted a lot of passages throughout reading. My intention was to share short little blurbs that wouldn't give away the story. But I have decided not to. I want future readers to experience all the emotions of this book the first time they read it. No spoilers. 

This book is dark. It's emotional. It's shocking. It's traumatic. It will be a controversial book, I am sure. It's not easy to read, but you will be so glad you did. 

"This Is Where It Ends" is set to be released in January 2016. Add it to your shelves. You won't be disappointed. It's haunting, yet powerful and unlike any book I have ever read before. 

Happy Reading!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate