Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography



Wow! This was another autobiography I listened to via digital download from my library, and I was not disappointed! I am so glad I went the audio route with Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris. This was narrated by Neil himself, so I got to hear every sarcastic, witty tone of voice during the stories he told.

Neil's life story is told through the borrowed writing style of the Choose Your Own Adventure books, which happened to be books he loved as a kid. If you aren't familiar with these books, they are children's game books that let the reader choose the story line to determine the main character's outcome. The stories are formatted so that, after a couple of pages of reading, the protagonist faces two or three options, each of which leads to more options, and then to one of many endings. In this audio version of NPH's (Neil Patrick Harris) autobiography, he says things like "if you would like to try out for the school musical keep listening. If you would like to star in a tv show about a high school doctor, wait a bit longer". Very clever and engaging.

I just can't imagine not loving everything about NPH. Back in his Doogie Howser, MD tv days I thought he was sooooo cute! I am pretty sure I had his Tiger Beat poster hung on my wall as a tween. Now in his "grown-up" days he is a vibrant, caring, funny guy, and I can't help but be entertained by his comedic style of story telling. 

NPH tells his story in his amazing NPH story-telling way. He is funny and witty, and you can't help but be excited when you hear him talk about the things he loves.He takes us through all the chapters of his life so far. From his early childhood growing up in New Mexico, to how he got bit by the acting bug, to his times on screen and stage. He talks about celebrity friendships and feuds, and even his love of magic. I loved when is husband, David, came on to talk about him. 

All in all this was a wonderfully entertaining autobiography. Done in an engaging, playful way. He even is so kind as to throw in some how-to card tricks and a couple food and cocktail recipes. He knows how to please the reader! Nothing seemed to be off limits, and he tells his complete story from the start of his life to the time the book was published. 

If you need something good to listen to on the commute to work, a fun listen while tanning poolside, or are just interested in the life of NPH then give this audio version a go. Or the actual physical or ebook. It's your choice. Believe me, you will laugh out loud and be entertained.

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate