Thursday, April 21, 2016

"Crash Alive" by Christopher Kerns


What an adventure! This is easily one of the best YA thrillers I have read in awhile! I found myself turning on my Kindle any chance I had to read this page-turner! 

I get quit a few requests to read and review ebooks by authors. With my busy life and never ending stack of books to read I can't say yes to all of them, but when Christopher Kerns emailed me with the request for me to read and review Crash Alive I just couldn't turn it down after reading the synopsis! I knew I had to work it into my reading schedule. I am so glad I did!

A code that has never been broken.

A secret society with an unthinkable plan.

A hacker that has had enough.


The only comfort teenager Haylie Black knows is in the world of technology—coding late into the night, building cool gadgets, and occasionally breaking into places where she doesn’t belong. But Haylie’s world is turned upside down when she learns shocking news: her brother has vanished attempting to solve an Internet puzzle known as “Raven 2309.” 

To find him, Haylie must enter an unknown world, circling the globe and uncovering the dangerous group behind Raven’s design, to outsmart a puzzle that has never been solved; the puzzle called “The Greatest Mystery on the Internet.” 

Crash Alive is a next-generation thriller, featuring hacking techniques ripped from today’s headlines, real-world secret societies, and puzzles that will keep readers turning the next page, trying their best to stay one step ahead. 


I loved the female protaganist, Haylie. She is young, sassy, and smart. Her personality mixed with the cool tech, mysterious secret societies, and a scavenger hunt makes for one exciting read. Buckle up, because this book will keep you on edge with every page you turn. 

This book is very well researched. All hacks and exploits referenced are based on real-world technology. Christopher Kerns has spent more than 20 years advising top companies worldwide on technology strategies and has worked his tech knowledge into this book flawlessly. Kerns starts out by telling the reader about two secret societies that actually do exist. From the get-go and throughout then entire story I found myself toggling back and forth between the book and the internet to research and discover along with Haylie. 

The pacing of the plot is great. I was never bored while reading, nor were there situations that were under explained and left me wondering "what just happened". Kerns did an excellent job of keeping me interested and the story moved along at a steady pace. Plot twists were thrown in at the perfect times, keeping me guessing throughout this entire book. 

I have to admit that technology and hacking is something that interests me, though I do not consider myself "tech savvy". I was afraid that explanations of hacks and computer programs would leave me confused and scratching my head. That was not the case at all. All hacks and computer procedures were clearly and easily explained. Never once did I feel lost or confused. 

I will leave you all with that small tidbit of information because if I keep talking about this I will likely give away spoilers. This is the first book in a series and I very much look forward to reading more from Christopher Kerns. 

The Kindle and paperback version of Crash Alive is available now on Amazon. I suggest getting your preferred version now! This is a book you don't want to miss! 

Thank you, once again, to Christopher Kerns for allowing me a review ecopy. I loved every second of it! When you are finished reading dont forget to check out his website where he shares pics and info about how he researched for this book. Very interesting! 

Happy Reading! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate