Thursday, August 24, 2017

"The Roses of May" by Dot Hutchison



Four months after the explosion at the Garden, a place where young women known as the Butterflies were kept captive, FBI agents Brandon Eddison, Victor Hanoverian, and Mercedes Ramirez are still entrenched in the aftermath, helping survivors in the process of adjusting to life on the outside. With winter coming to an end, the Butterflies have longer, warmer days of healing ahead. But for the agents, the impending thaw means one gruesome thing: a chilling guarantee that somewhere in the country, another young woman will turn up dead in a church with her throat slit and her body surrounded by flowers.
Priya Sravasti’s sister fell victim to the killer years ago. Now she and her mother move every few months, hoping for a new beginning. But when she ends up in the madman’s crosshairs, the hunt takes on new urgency. Only with Priya’s help can the killer be found—but will her desperate hope for closure compel her to put her very life on the line? ~taken from Amazon

If you have been following my blog for awhile you should know how much I loved the first book in this trilogy. It was the perfect physiological thriller. I raved about The Butterfly Garden and all it's glory for those who could stomach to read it. I was ecstatic when I learned that it was part of a trilogy and two more books would be released. I checked Netgalley daily to see when the ARC was available for request. Luckily, my request was excepted. 


This will be a short review, mainly because I would never think of spoiling this book. If you haven't read the first book GO HERE NOW and get it. 

The Roses Of May picks up a few months where The Butterfly Garden left off. We are introduced in more detail to the FBI agents who rescued the girls. We are also introduced to a mother and daughter who have been through an ordeal of their own. They too have dealt with the FBI agents and become close friends with each other. 

Priya and her mother have moved to a new town after her sister was murdered and her father commits suicide. They are trying to escape the horrors and sadness of their past. However, the serial killer responsible for her sister's death may have found her and is stalking her in this small new town.

Meanwhile, the trial for The Gardener is underway. The Butterflies are having a hard time dealing with life outside the garden and cling to each other for support and guidance. 

Then there is the FBI team. They are here for support and guidance to both Priya and her mom and the Butterflies. They are the ones trying to piece the mysteries together while providing friendship. They believe Priya meeting the Butterflies could help both heal the wounds of the past.

This second book I wanted to constantly compare to the first. I don't think that is fair. They are actually two separate stories that simply have the FBI agents in common. That being said, I think that blend from one book to the next was fabulous. I got to find out what happened after the big reveal in The Butterfly Garden, but I also was introduced to a wonderful, new set of characters.

This book was a solid 4 star read for me. I really think readers will enjoy this story!

Thanks to Netgalley and publishers Thomas & Mercer for allowing me a free copy to read and review. 

*** I will add that although I received egalley copies for both books, I have also bought both physical copies to add to my shelf at home. That's how good these are!*** 

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate