Saturday, November 4, 2023

Lisa Jewell's "None of This Is True"

 



Lisa Jewell returns with a scintillating new psychological thriller about a woman who finds herself the subject of her own popular true crime podcast.

Celebrating her forty-fifth birthday at her local pub, popular podcaster Alix Summers crosses paths with an unassuming woman called Josie Fair. Josie, it turns out, is also celebrating her forty-fifth birthday. They are, in fact, birthday twins.

A few days later, Alix and Josie bump into each other again, this time outside Alix’s children’s school. Josie has been listening to Alix’s podcasts and thinks she might be an interesting subject for her series. She is, she tells Alix, on the cusp of great changes in her life.

Josie’s life appears to be strange and complicated, and although Alix finds her unsettling, she can’t quite resist the temptation to keep making the podcast. Slowly she starts to realise that Josie has been hiding some very dark secrets, and before she knows it, Josie has inveigled her way into Alix’s life—and into her home.

But, as quickly as she arrived, Josie disappears. Only then does Alix discover that Josie has left a terrible and terrifying legacy in her wake, and that Alix has become the subject of her own true crime podcast, with her life and her family’s lives under mortal threat.

Who is Josie Fair? And what has she done? ~taken from Goodreads



All you need to do is search "Lisa Jewell" on my blog to see all the books of hers I have reviewed and to see that she is one of my favorite modern day authors. I was so excited to read her latest novel. 

I have to say I was speechless when I finished this book. The dark subjects and mind-bending twists left me replaying everything I had read in my mind. 

The characters in this story are typical of other Jewell novels. They are well developed with a little hint that something in their lives aren't what they seem. 

This one just didn't deliver for me on a couple fronts. The characters were so boring. From the get-go with the "birthday twins" comment I knew it was going to be an eye roll situation chapter after chapter. 

The thrills just weren't there for me either. It was a log, drawn out storyline that only got interesting at the very end. Even when everything did unravel and reveal it was a very unsatisfactory ending. I wasn't wowed and I just felt disappointed. 

If you are looking for a heart pounding, phycological thriller that leaves you on the edge of your seat this isn't the Jewell book for you. It was a 3 star read. 

"None of This Is True" is available to read here in the U.S. so get your copy now where books are sold. 

Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate