Wednesday, April 1, 2015

"The Wizard Returns" a novella by Danielle Page (Dorothy Must Die Series)



Have you heard of the Dorothy Must Die book series by Danielle Paige? I came across it last year while browsing a book store. I wanted to sit down in the isle and start reading it then and there. Who doesn't love The Wizard of Oz!? The series takes place AFTER the story we all know and love. In this series, Dorothy is evil. She is ruler of OZ and is destroying everything we love about it. An Oz where Good Witches can't be trusted, Bad Witches are the good guys, and the yellow brick road is crumbling. I finished Book 1 in a couple days. If I remember correctly, it was a bit of a slow start, but so good once it got going! 

I have also read No Place Like Oz and The Witch Must Burn- both are novellas (short stories) that go along and add a bit of back story or other juicy info relevant to the main books. The Wizard Returns is also a novella. 

I have never had to force myself to continue to read such a short story. The Wizard Returns a mere 12 chapters, but it seemed to drag on forever. Maybe it was because The Wizard has never been one of my favorite characters. This story was very slow going and I had a hard time getting into it. While it was interesting to see how The Wizard changed and became who he was in Dorothy Must Die, I didn't feel this little book added anything significant to the main story. 

Despite this novella, book 2- The Wicked Will Rise just was released yesterday and I am sooooo excited to read it! I highly recommend this series. Very imaginative and not what you expected. Spoiler alert: there is no singing and dancing about rainbows and blue birds flying in these books. Dorothy isn't a cute, shy girl from Kansas just trying to get home. 

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate