Friday, August 7, 2020

Dot Hutchison's "Deadly Waters"


Florida journalism undergrad Rebecca Sorley is like any other college student. She tries to keep up with her studies, her friends, and her hot-tempered roommate, Ellie, who regularly courts trouble with the law.

When a male student’s remains are found in alligator-infested waters, the university warns students to stay away from the reptiles. But then a second body shows up, and the link is undeniable. Both men belonged to the same fraternity and had a reputation for preying on and hurting women.

Ellie has previously threatened to kill men who don’t take no for an answer. Rebecca and her friends thought Ellie was kidding. But now a vigilante killer is roaming campus—someone who knows how to dispose of rapists. Someone determined to save female students from horrible crimes.

With each passing day, those who know Ellie become more convinced she’s responsible. But if she is, stopping her might not be in everyone’s best interest…

 ~ taken from Amazon


So, you all know how much I love author Dot Hutchison! Her Collector Series are some of the best modern thrillers, in my opinion! I have read and reviewed all of them and here are the list of links to those reviews in order:


The Butterfly Garden


The Roses of May


The Summer Children 


The Vanishing Season



So, back to the review of her latest work, "Deadly Waters". I was very excited to read this, as it's her first book since finishing The Collector series. The premise sounded interesting, but to be honest I had my reservations. The fact that the story revolved around college-aged women who play vigilante man haters...


I was right. This book just wasn't for me. Don;t get me wrong, I breezed through it in no time because of the amazing writing, but the story line was boring at best. 


So much man-hating that I took away from the story. I was so tired of hearing how horrible men are and how every single man was out there just waiting to prey on women. It was too much. It was ridiculous. It made the characters shallow and there wasn't a single main character I even liked. 


There were plot twists and exciting instances, the ending wasn't a surprise, but over all it just fell flat for me. Maybe I was just expecting way to much from the author after the amazing previous series?


I look forward to any future book that Dot Hutchison publishes, but I have to give this book 1 star. It just wasn't my cup of tea. 


"Deadly Waters" is set to be released September 1, 2020 here in the U.S.


Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for allowing me the egalley to read and give my honest review. 


Happy Reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate